Information of marked herons and eglets in Japan
attn.: e-mail addresses changed graphics because to keep away from spam.
a. Name and contact address of the person in charge of color marking.
Fumio Sato （Yamashina Institute for Ornithology, 115 Konoyama Abiko, Chiba 270-1145, Japan）
(Updated at Nov. 1,2006 as follows)
b. Contact address when found the marked heron and necessary informations.
(1) Fumio Sato and collaborator's mark (as described) , and unknown mark.
Yamashina Institute for Ornithology (115 Konoyama Abiko-city, Chiba 270-1145, Japan)
Fax: (+81)471-82-4342, Fumio Sato e-mail: sato(at)yamashina.or.jp
(2) Takeshi Shirai's mark on gray heron in Tokyo and its vicinity (as described).
Tokyo Metropolitan University, Faculty of science, Department of Biology
（1-1 Minami-osawa Hachioji-city, Tokyo 192-0397 Japan）
Takeshi Shirai e-mail: ardea(at)k00.itscom.net
(3) Yukiko Nouda's mark on little egret in Kyoto and its vicinity (as described)
Takeshi Wada e-mail: wadat(at)mus-nh.city.osaka.jp
(4) Yoshihito Osako's mark on great egret and gray heron in Toyooka city and its vicinity (as described)
Yoshihito Osako e-mail: yosako(at)stork.u-hyogo.ac.jp
1. Observer name and contact address (address, phone number, fax number and E-mail)
2. Observed day
3. Observed place (in detail as possible; latitude and longitude)
4. Name of species
5. Number of individuals
6. Age (adult, juvnile or unknown)
7. Feather color (Summer feather, Winter feather or middle feather)
8. Marked site,Colour of the ring, the character carved in the colour ring
9. With or without the photograph
10.Remarks: (formation of crowds, aspect, injury and so on)
c. Outline of how to color marking.
(1) Chick of herons and egrets are ringed with a metal ring on right leg and a yellow ring on left tibia. The yellow rings are carved on black letter of 1 alphabet and 2 numbers. Please read more detail on the homepage as follows.
(2) Chick and adult of Grey Herons are ringed with a metal ring on right tibia and a color ring on left tibia. The color rings are yellow, green or red. Yellow rings are carved on black letter of number (1 or 2 figure are horizontal). The green and red rings are carved on white letter of number (1 or 2 figure are vertical). A part of herons are without a metal ring. Please read more detail on the homepage as follows.
(3) Adult of Little Egrets are ringed with one or two color ring(s) on both tibia, with no metal rings. That rings aren't carved letter. Please read more detail on the homepage as follows.
(4) Adult of Grey Herons and Great Egrets are ringed with a metal ring on right tibia and color rings on left tibia. They are put a radio telemetry for satellite on the back. (Made by North Star. Weight 30g. Its have stopped to send data, but put on the back.)
d. Outline of marked herons and egret (Studying year, species and number, place).
(1) In 2006, 300 in all (Grey Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron, Cattle Egret, Great Egret, Intermediate Egret and Little Egret). In Ibaraki, Chiba, Aichi, Gifu, Fukui, Ishikawa, Yamaguchi, Fukuoka and Kagoshima pref.
(2) In 2003-2006, 68 Grey Heron. Tama Zoological Park in Hino city, Tokyo.
(3) In 1996-1999, 63 Little Egret. Kamo river and Takano river in Kyoto city.
(4) In 2003-2005, 4 Great Egret and 8 Grey Heron. In Toyooka city, Hyogo pref.
e. Homepage address and literature for more details.
(1) Yamashina Institute for Ornithology
(2) Aosagi-net (Grey Heron's Network)
(3) Wada's bird home
(4) No homepage. Satellite study showed a part of Grey Herons and Great Egrets migrated to China, Russia and Korea(Osako,unpublished).